Katrina Smith dead and obituary, Lead detective recounts how evidence

When Todd Smith publicly announced that his wife, Katrina, had run away from home on the night of October 22, 2012, never to return, the couple’s Rockford, Illinois home There was an uproar in the community.

Katrina Smith is one of them. When Todd Smith made an emotional plea for his wife’s safe return on local television, he struck a chord with the people of Rockford, who joined friends and family of the Smiths in organizing a search for Katrina. Meanwhile, the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office has stepped up its investigation into the mystery.

“When I found out Katrina was missing, my dad called me and told me he hadn’t seen her in a while. My reaction was, ‘What do you mean? How long?'” Todd Todd Smith’s eldest daughter from his first marriage, Paige, told 20/20 in his first public comments about his stepmother’s case.

Paige remembers thinking Katrina would never get up and leave. “I asked a lot of questions, trying to understand what was going on, while my brain was trying to find a rational explanation.”

In the days after Katrina Smith disappeared, a stream of evidence emerged: Her blue Chevrolet Cruze, abandoned on the side of the road in a residential neighborhood, was found the day after she disappeared; Her car was found about 150 meters away. Her cellphone was found in bushes on the side of the road the next day, and the next day search teams found bloody tissues in a field south of Katrina’s car.

Katrina Smith’s body was discovered by an off-duty firefighter in Rock River on Nov. 9, 17 days after she was reported missing by her husband. An autopsy revealed Smith died of blunt force trauma to the head. The disappearance officially becomes a murder investigation.

The revelations raised questions about Todd Smith, and a deeper look into his background led investigators to wonder whether his carefully crafted image of a perfect husband, father and successful businessman was just a facade.

First of all, Todd Smith wasn’t always Todd Smith. Smith was once Todd Replager. In 1985, at the age of 17, he was involved in an incident in which he admitted breaking a gas line in the home where he lived with his mother, stepfather and three half-siblings. The house burst into flames with Smith’s family inside. Miraculously, the family escaped the fire unscathed.

Todd, who admitted to the arson, told investigators he didn’t get along with his mother and wanted to scare her. He waived his right to a jury trial and pleaded guilty to arson. He was sentenced to 30 months probation and 160 hours of community service. At just 17 years old, Todd left home and never came back. “Looking back, you have to say he was a troubled kid,” Larry Schultz, who investigated the 1985 arson, told 20/20.

Scroll to Top